Jessica Kirstin Taylor
Childhood; Adolescents, Adults, Youth at Risk, and those with special needs
Schools: Elementary, Middle, High and Alternative Ed
Community Sites: Libraries, Art Centers, Parks and Recreation Centers
Jessica attended the State University of New York at Brockport to complete her Master of Arts in Dance Education with K-12 certification. In addition to being an artist in residence at public schools in Illinois, Utah, New York and Oklahoma, she performs with Perpetual Motion, Modern Dance Oklahoma.
Taylor's lively residencies are known for creating an experience that empowers the student to realize that they are an artist. Her high priority is to engage students in a culturally-based, standards-based, and collaborative arts residency that concludes with a performance where students share and express ideas through dance.
Taylor will collaborate with sponsors before the residency begins, as it is beneficial and necessary to determine and accomplish optimum student achievement through residency goal-setting.
- Learn the basic elements of dance: time, energy, space and shape
- Expand the knowledge of culture through dance activities
- Appreciate dance as an athletic performance art form
- Advance creative process problem solving and critical analysis skills through dance activities that incorporate props, stories, teamwork, and cooperation
- Build listening skills and personal responsibility
- Develop ways to express ideas through dance
- Deepen awareness of one's body through motor coordination, patterning, sequencing, and expression
- Provide teachers resources to incorporate dance into core knowledge units